Man About The House


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions about the services that I offer, please give me a call and I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Q:  How small a job will you do?
A:  I am very happy to do larger jobs but I set up the handyman business with smaller jobs in mind as these are the jobs that specialist tradesmen are often unwilling to do and my charging structure is set out in small half-hour increments to accommodate the smaller jobs, keeping your costs down as many of the jobs that I do (particularly for the elderly) take under the half hour.  I am able to help with things such as flat pack furniture assembly, painting, repairs and emergencies.  Please look at my services page for a better idea or just give me a call.

Q:  Do you look after commercial companies and their properties.  We are too small to employ our own full time handyman but besides the Health and Safety issues for staff, we are too busy to do the jobs that come up ourselves?
A:  Yes, I already have commercial clients on my books whereby I do ad hoc jobs when needed, from technology to assembling new furniture to moving premises, small electrical and plumbing items and general jobs around the premises.  For commercial clients my terms are absolutely and strictly net 30 days, which may be similar to how you might pay your staff wage bill.  I believe that this strict payment agreement is fair and mutually beneficial.

Q:  Will you undertake major building projects such as building an extension on a home?
A:  I am happy to do larger work, up to say rejuvenating a whole house interior, but major building projects would take me away from my core offering as a handyman which is to help people with those smaller jobs that they struggle to find anybody to help them with and frankly you would be better off using a builder.  To that end, when taking on other types of larger projects such as rejuvinating a whole house, I will only guarantee 3 flexy days per week on the project in order to allow for those jobs and emergencies that my other clients might have.  Naturally if during a week, if other business is not pressing and I have more time available, as is often the case, I will be able to give more time to your project.  All my Commercial Client's understand and approve of this arrangement as some day they might unexpectedly need my assistance at a drop of a hat themselves.

Q:  Your services page says that you do computer repairs is this right? and if so could you look at my computer at the same time if you were to come out to help me with my handyman needs?
A:  Yes, I have over 24 years experience of building and fixing computers and the charges for helping you with your computer would be the same as doing any of the other multi-trade services that I provide, just add it to your list of things for me to do!  You can view more information by visiting my dedicated website Phil Guy Computer & Repairs.

Q:  I am a private Landlord and my tenants have just moved out of one of my properties and left the place in a terrible state with some electrical and plumbing work necessary as well as gouges in walls, various broken fixtures and fittings and a complete interior repaint essential.  Do you provide a service whereby you repair and freshen up the whole property?
A:  Yes, if wanted, my handyman service can provide a one stop shop for Landlords, whereby instead of the Landlord having to co-ordinate an army of different tradespeople, I will either be capable of doing all the work myself or if required co-ordinate the specialist trades to attend.  This saves the Landlords not only their time, but also as I can do most work myself, it saves the various minimum callout fees for all the trades needed in the repair and makeover often wanted when tenants leave a property.  I can also offer my advice and ideas should it be required for repairs, redecoration and cost effective savings.  If their is a large amount of work, I may be able to offer a small discount.

Handyman in Plymstock, Plymouth - Man About The House - logo

IOSH Working Safety Certificate

Enhanced CRB Checked for working with vulnerable adults, children or in public places.

Have worked in high security establishments such as M.O.D. Bases and Prisons and in sensitive areas such as Schools, Hospitals, Emergency Centres and Residential Homes.

UK Guild of Handymen member.


Guild of Handymen Logo
Man About The House

Guild of Handymen
Click here to verify